“The most striking images and powerful visual journeys I have traveled on have never been captured on camera nor have I sought to. They are etched deep within my being where they belong.”
Lloyd is a self-taught photographer and film maker who specialises in action photography and short film documentaries. Since leaving a career in academia and deciding to make something out of this passion for photography and filming, Lloyd’s work has quickly developed with clients including National Geographic, Patagonia, BBC, The North Face, Lululemon Athletica, Scott Sports and more [view client list]. From childhood, he has been hard-wired to exploring the outdoors whether that be on the land or in the water, and over the years, the camera has become Lloyd’s exploration tool.
Lloyd aims to enable those viewing his images, to connect with the subject, emotion and environment. Whether it be a commissioned assignment for a brand or a spontaneous episode on a mountain side with an athlete, he aims to blend narratives from both sides of the camera lens while striving for technical excellence.
Lloyd is particularly drawn to where athleticism and art meet in photography and as a runner, he has competed in ultra mountain races including successfully finishing the Dragons Back Race 2015 [200 mile mountain race across Wales] and the Ultra Trail Mount Fuji [100 mile ultra running race] among a number of ultra running events.
Lloyd’s recent film work ‘Mira’, follows the journey of Mira Rai, a spirited Nepali village girl on her pursuit to being a world-recognised mountain runner that can be viewed here. Since being released on March 30th 2016, ‘Mira’ has been awarded:
- Grand Prize – Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival 2017
- Parkstad Limburg Jury Award – Dutch Mountain Film Festival 2017
- Prix du Dépassement de Soi – Les Diablerets International Film Festival 2016
- Best Film in Mountain Culture – New Zealand Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Winner of Emerging Talent Award – Alaska International Film Awards 2016
- Winner of Audience Choice Award – Kathmandu International Mountain Film Festival 2016.
- Finalist – BANFF Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Finalist at Kendal Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Finalist at the 34th Mountain Film Festival of Torelló 2016
Other short film pieces include ‘The Most Beautiful Thing’ and ‘More Than A Race’ [released in May 2014] that was screened on Cathay Pacific Airways flights and can be viewed here.
Part of Lloyd’s work involves capturing the action at races around the world. Some of the long list of races that he has worked on are:
- Ultra Trail Mont Blanc 
- Ultra Gobi – 400km 
- Fjällräven Classic 2017 [Hong Kong]
- Hong Kong Four Trails Ultra Challenge [2014, 2015 & 2017]
- 9 Dragons Ultra 2017 [Hong Kong]
- Nepal 3 Day Ultra 
- Ultra Tour Monte Rosa [2015 & 2017]
- Ultra Trail Mount Fuji 
- Mongolia 3 Day Ultra [2013, 2014 & 2017]
- Vibram Hong Kong 100 [2013, 2014 & 2017]
- TMBT [Borneo – 2014]
- Oxfam Hong Kong Trailwalker [2015 & 2016]
- Asian Skyrunning Championships [2015 & 2016].