“The most striking images and powerful visual journeys I have traveled on have never been captured on camera nor have I sought to. They are etched deep within my being where they belong.”
Lloyd is a self-taught photographer and film maker. With a professional background as a university lecturer using cameras for researching social issues, Lloyd completed a doctoral thesis using visual ethnography to study heroin use among the Nepalese community in Hong Kong. He took the plunge to make something out of this passion for photography and filming as a means to pay his PhD bills and since then, Lloyd’s work has quickly developed with clients including National Geographic, Patagonia, BBC, The North Face, Lululemon Athletica, Scott Sports and more [view client list].
From childhood, he has been hard-wired to exploring the outdoors whether that be on the land or in the water, and over the years, the camera has become Lloyd’s exploration tool to enable those viewing his images, to connect with the subject, emotion and environment. Whether it be a commissioned assignment for a brand or a spontaneous episode on a mountain side with an athlete, he aims to blend narratives from both sides of the camera lens while striving for technical excellence.
Lloyd is particularly drawn to where athleticism, social issues and art meet in film and photography, and as a runner, he has competed in ultra mountain races including successfully finishing the Dragons Back Race 2015 [200 mile mountain race across Wales] and the Ultra Trail Mount Fuji [100 mile ultra running race] among a number of ultra running events.
Lloyd’s most recent film work ‘Mira’, follows the journey of Mira Rai, a spirited Nepali village girl on her pursuit to being a world-recognised mountain runner that can be viewed here. Since being released on March 30th 2016, ‘Mira’ has been awarded:
- Winner of Audience Choice Award – Mountain Film Festival Bergfilmnacht 2018
- Best Film in Mountain Sports – Ladek Film Festival 2018
- Grand Prize – Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival 2017
- Parkstad Limburg Jury Award – Dutch Mountain Film Festival 2017
- Prix du Dépassement de Soi – Les Diablerets International Film Festival 2016
- Best Film in Mountain Culture – New Zealand Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Winner of Emerging Talent Award – Alaska International Film Awards 2016
- Winner of Audience Choice Award – Kathmandu International Mountain Film Festival 2016.
- Finalist – BANFF Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Finalist at Kendal Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Finalist at the 34th Mountain Film Festival of Torelló 2016
Lloyd completed a documentary film: ‘Nepalese Drug Users in Hong Kong’ in 2018 that captured the experiences of those from the Nepalese community in Hong Kong who use heroin. He is currently working on a new film called Rungkopi that is due for release in 2019. Rungkopi captures the people who live around Kinabalu with stories that blend hope, perseverance and a rich tapestry of tradition, cultural pride and history. In keeping with authenticity, the film is mainly in Dusun, which is the main dialect of the mountain.
Part of Lloyd’s work involves capturing the action at races around the world. Some of the long list of events that he has worked on are:
- Zegama- Aizkorri 2018
- Lijiang Skyview Adventure 2018
- Ultra Trail Mont Blanc 2017
- Ultra Gobi – 400km 2017 & 2018
- Fjällräven Classic 2017 & 2018 [Hong Kong]
- Hong Kong Four Trails Ultra Challenge 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018
- 9 Dragons Ultra 2017 & 2018 [Hong Kong]
- Nepal 3 Day Ultra 2016
- Ultra Tour Monte Rosa 2015 & 2017
- Ultra Trail Mount Fuji 2014
- Mongolia 3 Day Ultra 2013, 2014 & 2017
- Vibram Hong Kong 100 2013, 2014 & 2017
- TMBT 2014 [Borneo]
- Oxfam Hong Kong Trailwalker 2015 & 2016
- Asian Skyrunning Championships 2015 & 2016
Media Videos & Articles: