Lloyd is a self-taught photographer and film maker who grew up in Hong Kong and is currently based in York (UK). With a professional background as a university lecturer using cameras for researching social issues, Lloyd completed a doctoral thesis using visual ethnography to study heroin use among the Nepalese community in Hong Kong. In 2013, he swapped the lecture halls for the mountains when he decided to make something out of this passion for photography and filming and since then, Lloyd’s work has quickly developed with clients including National Geographic, Patagonia, BBC, The North Face, Sony, Lululemon Athletica and more.
From childhood, he has been hard-wired to exploring the outdoors whether that be on the land or in the water, and over the years, the camera has become Lloyd’s exploration tool to enable those viewing his images, to connect with the subject, emotion and environment. Whether it be a commissioned assignment for a brand or a spontaneous episode on a mountain side with an athlete, he aims to blend narratives from both sides of the camera lens while striving for technical excellence.
Lloyd is particularly drawn to where social issues, athleticism and art meet in film and photography, and as a runner, he has competed in ultra mountain races including successfully finishing the Dragons Back Race 2015 [200 mile mountain race across Wales] and the Ultra Trail Mount Fuji [100 mile ultra running race] among a number of ultra running events.
- Winner of Audience Choice Award – Mountain Film Festival Bergfilmnacht 2018
- Best Film in Mountain Sports – Ladek Film Festival 2018
- Grand Prize – Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival 2017
- Parkstad Limburg Jury Award – Dutch Mountain Film Festival 2017
- Prix du Dépassement de Soi – Les Diablerets International Film Festival 2016
- Best Film in Mountain Culture – New Zealand Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Winner of Emerging Talent Award – Alaska International Film Awards 2016
- Winner of Audience Choice Award – Kathmandu International Mountain Film Festival 2016.
- Finalist – BANFF Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Finalist at Kendal Mountain Film Festival 2016
- Finalist at the 34th Mountain Film Festival of Torelló 2016
He is currently working on a new film called Rungkopi that is due for release in 2020. Rungkopi captures the people who live around Mount Kinabalu with stories that blend hope, perseverance and a rich tapestry of tradition, cultural pride and history. In keeping with authenticity, the film is mainly in Dusun, which is the main dialect of the mountain.
Part of Lloyd’s work involves capturing the action at races around the world. Some of the long list of events that he has worked on are:
- Ultra Trail Mount Fuji 2014 & 2019 [Japan]
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2019
- Vibram Hong Kong 100 2013, 2014, 2017 & 2019
- Hong Kong Four Trails Ultra Challenge 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Zegama- Aizkorri 2018 [Spain]
- TMBT 2014 & 2018 [Borneo]
- Lijiang Skyview Adventure 2018 [China]
- Ultra Gobi – 400km 2017 & 2018 [China]
- Fjällräven Classic 2017 & 2018 [Hong Kong]
- Ultra Trail Mont Blanc 2017 [France & Italy]
- 9 Dragons Ultra 2017 & 2018 [Hong Kong]
- Nepal 3 Day Ultra 2016
- Ultra Tour Monte Rosa 2015 & 2017 [Switzerland & Italy]
- Mongolia 3 Day Ultra 2013, 2014 & 2017
- Oxfam Hong Kong Trailwalker 2015 & 2016
- Asian Skyrunning Championships 2015 & 2016 [Hong Kong]